Recently, one of our customers asked the following question:
“How do I restrict messages to 2MB for inbound and outbound mail – for all users except a small group of users?”
In MDaemon, this can be done via the Content Filter (located under the Security menu). Simply follow these easy steps:
- Add the users who will not be subject to the size restriction to a group via Accounts | Groups & Templates.
- Go to Security | Content Filter and create a new rule.
- In the left-hand “Conditions” column, check the box “If MESSAGE SIZE is greater than.”
- In the right-hand “Actions” column, check the box “DELETE the message”, and also check the box “Send a NOTE 1 to.”
- In the bottom section, click on the blue text “is greater than 10K” and enter a value in KB (2000 KB, for example), and then click OK.
- Click on the blue text “Specify Information” next to “and send note 1.”
- In the new window, enter $SENDER$ in the To field, adjust the subject if desired, and enter a message in the main window, such as “Sorry, your message has exceeded the allowed size limit.”
- Click OK to save your progress.
- Give your new rule a name in the “Name this rule” field at the top, and click OK to save the rule.
- Now, we need to create a new rule to skip the size limit rule for members of the group we created in Step 1. Click on New Rule.
- Give your rule a name.
- In the left-hand “Conditions” column, check the boxes “If SENDER is a member of GROUP” and “If RECIPIENT is a member of GROUP.”
- In the box below, click on the blue “specific group name” text for each item, and select the group you created in Step 1. Do not change the word “or” to “and.”
- In the right-hand “Actions” column, check the box “SKIP the next ‘n’ rules.”
- Click the blue text “Specify Information” in the bottom section, and verify that it has “1” specified under “Skip over how many rules?”
- Click OK.
- Save your new rule.
- Back on the main Rules screen, highlight the last rule you created, and click the “Move up” button to move it above the size limit rule we created previously.
- Click OK to exit the content filter.
As a reminder, you can view our webinars and tutorial videos on our YouTube channel. Is there a topic you’d like to learn more about? Let us know in the comments section below!